Jenkins is open source automation server. It helps automate the parts of software development related to building, testing, and deploying, facilitating continuous integration and continuous delivery.
Jenkins is based on Java and helps with every part of the software development process.
Jenkins can be installed through native system packages, Docker, or even run standalone by any machine with a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) installed.
Jenkins is a server-based system that runs in servlet containers such as Apache Tomcat. It supports version control tools, including CVS, and can execute Apache Ant, Apache Maven and based projects as well as arbitrary Shell script and Windows batch commands.
Just follow the steps below
- Installing OpenJDK and verify the version
yum install java -y
2. Configuring yum and Installing Jenkins
It should display /etc/yum.repos.d/jenkins.repo saved.
sudo wget -O /etc/yum.repos.d/jenkins.repo http://pkg.jenkins.io/redhat-stable/jenkins.repo
Import the GPG key
sudo rpm — import http://pkg.jenkins.io/redhat-stable/jenkins.io.key
Final step to Install Jenkins
sudo yum install jenkins -y
3. Starting and Enabling the service
systemctl start jenkins
systemctl enable jenkins
systemctl status jenkins
4. Allowing the port and service through the firewall (Default port is 8080)
firewall-cmd — add-port=8080/tcp — permanent
firewall-cmd — reload
firewall-cmd — list-all
5. First-time setup
- Setup Jenkins, First we need to get the default administrator password, you can find it with the following command. (The location is displayed on the Getting Started / Unlock Jenkins page.)
Access Jenkins by opening your browser then go to http://IP_address:8080 , you will_be directed as follow:
Copy your Admin Password from the shell then paste it and click continue button.
- Here, I’ll choose the Install suggested plugins which will install all required apps and all needed plugins.
- After the plugins installation finishes, you can create an admin user or you can just skip this steps and continue with the default admin user as shown below.
The Instance configuration will provide you the Jenkins URL, just click Save and finish as shown below.
The setup is complete as shown below, So click on Start using Jenkins
Finally, You will be directed to the Jenkins Dashboard as shown, So Enjoy with Jenkins.